Monday 3 June 2013

PIERCE THE VEIL BONANZA

I will be writing a proper post for Louder Than War, but this is my harebrained fangirly experience of today.

So last night, as you might have noticed, I was very excited because I was seeing Pierce The Veil today, and also potentially getting into a signing they were doing in the Pulp branch in the Arndale in town. That meant I was too excited to sleep for more than two and a half hours, before getting up at 5:30 in the morning so I could be in town on time. I made it into the queue for a wristband - they were giving out the last 25 that morning and I was 17th I think - and I got it, and I was all over the place. My heartrate was at about 90 bpm.



Went home and prepared myself for returning to town at 4pm for the signing itself. I ended up making friends with some of the people in line through the common topic of "WHAT THE FUCK DO WE DO WHEN WE GET IN THERE? PIERCE THE VEIL ARE REAL PEOPLE OMGWHTFSJD" as we crept slowly nearer and nearer. I did want to be all calm and collected, but when we got into the shop and actually saw them - I could see Jaime over the shelves - signing stuff, I lost it. I mean, they're my favourite fucking band and they were THERE IN MY FAVOURITE SHOP. SAT THERE ALIVE AND REAL AND EVERYTHING. I could see Jaime laughing at something, and as we got a bit closer I could see Vic and Mike and Tony too.
Then we got up to the table, and I gave them my Disney autograph book to sign, and they passed it along. Vic asked how I was and smiled at me - I said I was a bit shell-shocked - and he gave me a high five. A HIGH FUCKING FIVE OFF VIC FUCKING FUENTES. Mike said hi as well, Tony didn't really speak cause that's him, but he grinned at me, and Jaime asked how I was. Then we lined up behind them and got a picture taken, and as I was leaving I put my letter down on the table in front of Jaime, and he looked at me and smiled, and I think I may have pulled a ridiculous fangirl face.

I stayed with this group of people to walk to the venue, where I met up with Patrick, my plus one for the evening. Patrick's not normally into this kind of music so I find it highly amusing that he wanted to see PTV.
The first act was Hands Like Houses, who I've not listened to before, but were actually pretty good and got the crowd going quite well.
Then came Woe, Is Me. I wasn't expecting much because I listened to some of their stuff earlier and it just sounded like pretty generic metalcore stuff with no individuality, but they really went for it and brought the songs to life.
Then it was time. Tiimmeee. For the best band ever (aside from MCR, but we're not talking about that), the "four Mexicans from San Diego", as they announced themselves. It was SO FUCKING INTENSE. PITS EVERYWHERE. I was really near the front for the first song, Hell Above, but it was so hot and close that I had to get out cause I was feeling faint. They did Disasterology, then Besitos and Bulletproof Love. Then Vic did I'm Low On Gas And You Need A Jacket acoustic, and it was beautiful. Like, normally I don't like when they make you sing the song back, but this time it was so amazing because he realised that we were going to carry on singing, so he just stopped and stood on stage and looked really emotional as we all sang the end of the song, and then we did it again with him joining in. It was fucking wonderful.
Then he asked us if music had ever saved our lives and I don't think I've ever heard a more enthusiastic response to anything ever. He said that it had saved the lives of everyone on stage, everyone who'd performed tonight, and then dedicated the next song to us - obviously, it was Hold On Till May. Everyone was very emotional, even me - I nearly cried, I'm not denying it. It was wonderful.
Then we were back off with Caraphernelia, which was awesome despite being unable to extricate myself from the mosh pit that was this one half-naked dude windmilling at random moments. I don't remember one or two of the songs we had because I'm really tired right now, but we finished with Bulls In The Bronx, which went down a storm, of course. People were shouting 'one more song' almost before they'd made it offstage, and they returned to perform King For A Day with the singer from Hands Like Houses.

It was amazing. It was hot and intense and scary but I've never enjoyed myself quite so much as that. There was a confetti cannon, for god's sake. It was the best night of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment