Saturday 28 December 2013

Don Broco?

I'm sure I'll have mentioned it before, but I have a kind of stubbornness with listening to new music. Sometimes I will go out looking for new things - which is part of the purpose of this blog - but at other times I'm very happy to just listen to the same ten or so albums on repeat all day. When Don Broco first appeared, about a year or two ago, the suddenness with which they started being mentioned everywhere I turned (everywhere being two music channels, one music magazine and a few twitter accounts) was unsettling and I decided, in a very childish way, to never listen to them because they were obviously shit, even though I'd never heard them at all, and this guy I met over the summer told me several times over the course of a fortnight that I really 'had to listen to this band Don Broco'.
I don't remember when - obviously it wasn't voluntary - but at some point a few months ago, I heard Don Broco's song 'You Wanna Know'. Jesus H. Christ, I love that song. I've posted it on here, I know, but seriously, you need to listen to it. It's so catchy, and I really like all the things they do with the guitars, and Rob Damiani (lead singer) has a pretty interesting but still powerful singing voice.

I know you were dancing to that, you dirty liars.
That song is so fucking brilliant that, really, I suppose it's high time (especially now I have a laptop and therefore better access to the internet) that I gave the rest of their music a go. If they wrote that song, it's got to be fairly good, hasn't it?
From the moment I press play on their 2012 album Priorities, I'm getting very good vibes. The opening track (also called Priorities) is just the kind of guitar-heavy (but not too much so) music that sounds amazing, but makes you crave to hear it live because you can just tell it would sound even better. That's continued in the next track, the quite sexy-sounding Hold On.
In a way, I'm struggling to find something to say about their music that isn't "fucking hell, this is sexy music". It's the vocals, the guitars, the rhythm . . . essentially the music as a whole. The intense need I have to hear this music live is so much that I might cry - it's something about the way the choruses just seem to explode out of each song. I could have watched these guys at Leeds festival, I'm going to punch myself in the face.
It's hard to pick favourite songs at the moment, but the more aggressive edge to Fancy Dress stands out to me, and I the more melancholy sound that emerges in You Got It Girl. I really liked Yeah Man, but the acoustic version is outstanding.
Their first work, Big Fat Smile, is also awesome, if a little less polished than Priorities. The differences are subtle and hard to put your finger on, but listening to the two records back to back, you can hear where they've smoothed down the edges a little and adjusted, and they've done it well.

I've finally listened to Don Broco, and I - you also, I reckon, if you've listened to the tracks I linked - am really glad that I have. When the concussion from where I slapped myself in the forehead when I realised exactly what I missed at Leeds, I will be looking up when they're next playing near me, because they're at least six or seven times better than I originally thought they would be, and they're so worth listening to that there is really nothing more that can be said on the matter. Go and listen to them now.
(Sadly, from what I can see, Don Broco don't have any upcoming tour dates, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

2 comments:

  1. This is a really good post, but I think you may be interested to learn that Big Fat Smile wasn't their first work. I live in Bedford, where the band are from, and they had two shorter EPs when they were just starting out. They won Red Bull Bedroom Jam thanks to a song called Thug Workout. I suggest you listen to Big Game, too. It's very interesting to see how they've changed over the last few years. The initial style is very different.

    Hope that interests you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aah, brilliant. The annoying thing about the internet is that it always turns up really irrelevant stuff so I distrust its ability to give me accurate info about band histories. Thanks

    ReplyDelete