Wednesday 8 January 2014

Look, A Band - If You Like To Dance

I do like to dance, normally, I'll admit, but the band name sounds like a bit of a challenge. Are you saying I'll want to dance more when I listen to you? 'Cause that's a challenge, my friend.
Although I'm only one and a half minutes into Sleep, the first song on the soundcloud of these guys - who are apparently based in Manchester (best place to be) and influenced, amongst other things, by 'the wicked ways of women' (I'll choose to take that in the amusing way). I'd say that If You Like To Dance are rising to said challenge reasonably well. I was expecting rock or pop punk or something from the band name, but I suppose this sort of electronic, dancier music is more obvious. It's quite effectively summed up in their Facebook bio - "the sound of two lads with guitars and a laptop". I have only ever heard about thirty seconds of Bloc Party in my lifetime, but so far they've got a similar kind of shouting vocals and slightly frantic feel to the music that makes you imagine training montages or people free-running. Surprisingly enough, Bloc Party are indeed listed as one of their other influences. Who'd have known?

Skin And Bone (above), which they've apparently gotten played on Radio One, is my favourite track so far. It sounds a little bit more melancholy, but melancholy can sound great in a song if you do it right.
They sound a little bit samey at the moment, and perhaps aren't quite my kind of thing, but if you're into alternative dance stuff (had to Wikipedia that), it's definitely worth your time to give them a listen

No comments:

Post a Comment