Tuesday 20 August 2013

ARE YOU READY FOR LEEDS YET?!

(I got onto a computer! Crazy, isn't it. Mine's still broken though, which makes posting regularly very annoyingly difficult)

On Friday, this very Friday, begins the 2013 Leeds Festival. I am going to this festival. I am so excited that I have been having trouble sleeping, which is somewhat troublesome because I should probably get the rest now seeing as I'll be up and about pretty much all day every day when I get there.
This year has an amazing line-up, the best line-up you could hope for after 2011 featured My Chemical Romance. We've got Bring Me The Horizon, Green Day, Deaf Havana, and - most importantly for a fair amount of people, I think, because until this year all the newer fans like myself thought we'd never get to see them perform live - Fall Out Boy. Stoked does not cut it.
So, to try and help work through my own excitement enough that I can sleep tonight, and also help any of you who are somewhat unsure who to go and see at Leeds this year, here are the songs by my favourite bands and artists that will be there that I am most excited to see. (apologies for the breakdown in my ability to express myself as the post goes on, I was getting more and more excited)


FALL OUT BOY
Why not start with what has to be one of, if not the absolute main attraction this year. Fall Out Boy. Legends of modern pop punk, and also incredibly nice people. My favourite song by them is Tiffany Blews, but that's not one of their big hits so I'm not expecting it (hint hint though, Patrick/Pete/Andy/Joe, if for some bizarre reason you happen to be reading this). However, I'd be quite happy with any number of the ones they are likely to play.
Thnks Fr Th Mmrs - ultimate angsty emo/pop punk hit. Everyone knows this one to some extent, because it's so fucking catchy, and because it's off Infinity On High, which Patrick at one point suggested was probably every FOB fan's secret favourite album (wrong there, mine's Folie A Deux).
Where Did The Party Go - My favourite track off their newest album, Save Rock And Roll. That bass, the chorus, all the other words in it. I know where the party is - it's here, in this song. I love this song, it makes me do stupid things in public.
Sugar, We're Going Down - I'd say this probably beats Thnks Fr Th Mmrs to the number one spot for 'FOB's Signature Song'. It's been around for longer, it's got the amazing guitar on it, and the whole weird antler thing in the video, it's brilliant to the point where I cannot properly articulate why I love this song so much. If anything is going to get a crowd of FOB fans crying it's this.
Death Valley - Another one off their new album, this is my second favourite, and one that I reckon would be absolutely amazing live. It's so fast and punchy and in my head all I see is hundreds of people jumping up and down and dancing all over the place, they have to play this.

BRING ME THE HORIZON
I've seen them once before, but I'm damn sure going to see them again because they put on one hell of a show. I've been trying to get my friends into them, which has had varied success considering that my friends are more into indie and house than metal, but I really don't care, I'll go on my own if I have to. I don't remember where I saw the comment - probably Kerrang! magazine, but advance warning that I don't take credit for this - but someone said that, really, you don't need friends at a BMTH concert because you're too busy screaming back the words to notice anything else.
Can You Feel My Heart - They've just released the video for this, actually, which I take as an omen that they might play it. They didn't last time I saw them, but I'm really hoping they do, because it's an awesome song.
Sleepwalking - To be fair, a lot of the songs I'm most excited to see them play are off Sempiternal, because even though their previous work is damn good, Sempiternal is on a whole other level. It's a masterpiece. Sleepwalking is my absolute favourite song by them anyway, and I've seen it get a crowd going mental before, so it can do it again.
It Never Ends - The first BMTH song I ever listened to, and the one that made me curious to listen to more. It's not the most cheerful song out there, but this is Bring Me The Horizon, not the Tellytubbies. I like some angry music. I like a lot of angry music. This has to be one of their biggest songs.
Chelsea Smile - I didn't really know this one when I heard them play it live, but it was absolutely brilliant, a great one for getting the crowd to sing back, and for if you like getting them to mosh incredibly hard, as Oli seems to be.

DEAF HAVANA
It's never going to happen, but in discussion with a friend the other day, I decided it would be awesome if Oli Sykes would show up to do the screaming parts on the songs from their first album, Meet Me Halfway, At Least. However, Oli might just be a little bit too heavy for them, as even when they had screaming, Deaf Havana were always much nearer to indie than any kind of metal.
Nicotine And Alcohol Saved My Life - My ex-boyfriend first introduced me to this band, and he did so through showing me this song, which I instantly fell for. It's so amazing, not really like their newer stuff, but still a fan favourite as when they asked what songs people want to hear at Leeds, a fair few requested it.
Leeches - Dark, as is all Deaf Havana stuff, but energetic and well-known, it's one of my favourites off Fools And Worthless Liars.
Little White Lies - Possibly one of the cheeriest songs you're likely to get out of Veck-Gilodi and co, featuring Portia Conn, this is actually probably my second favourite Deaf Havana song. Again, another more energetic one.

GREEN DAY
Eeeeverybody loves a bit of Green Day, everyone. We were sat round at my grandparents' house the other night discussing music, and my family knew who I was talking about when I mentioned them - apart from my granddad, who asked if they were similar to One Direction, because. despite frequent denial on my part because I like music, he assumes I am a fan of them. Anyway, my nana likes them at least. She once said she thought Billie Joe was handsome, and liked the American Idiot video because he's a man that 'knows how to dance'. There - pop punk for all the family.
Kill The DJ - Despite the mixed reception of Uno!, Dos! and Tre!, I actually really like this one. It's got swagger to it, it's not got deep political meaning or anything - the constant fighting involved with punk music does get just a little bit tiring every now and then - and it's catchy.
Jesus Of Suburbia - It's my favourite song off the American Idiot album, and the song that properly got me into the band. It's kind of lazy but active at the same time, and I like that the way it sounds keeps changing the whole way through.
Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life) - I don't have a lighter to light, but if I did, I'd have it going for this song, I think, even if it's not necessarily the right speed for it. It's one of their older songs, and a classic in general.
Basket Case - Another one of their classics, this one could get probably any crowd going, because everyone's got to have heard it at some point. To be fair, I did hear it the first time that I can properly remember off this guy in my school who was a massive Green Day fan and insisted on singing all their songs all the time in a bad American accent.

THE BLACKOUT
I may not listen to them as much as I feel I should, but I'll always have a soft spot for these guys. They may have some fairly heavy music, but they don't take things too seriously and they're always up for a laugh. Gutted that they were in Manchester, in Afflecks, even - my home turf - and I didn't know about it until I read the Kerrang! article.
Higher And Higher - This one's great live, as I vaguely remember from last time I saw then (first proper gig, was very frightened). Even if I didn't remember, I'd be able to guess just by listening to it, it's that awesome.
Children Of The Night - I think it's possibly the first song of theirs that I ever listened to, at the suggestion of my friend when I asked her for some new bands to listen to. Definitely good for getting the crowd singing.
Start The Party - Their newest album is not my favourite, but this one's grown on me a bit, and it's awesome for jumping about to.
Keep On Moving - another lighter one, it's slower, but it's very heartfelt, and I really like it.

DARWIN DEEZ
I only just found out that they're on, literally about ten minutes ago. Very very excited indeed, as you may have noticed from that post I wrote about discovering them just a few short weeks ago.
Radar Detector - because it's fast, lighthearted and catchy, and the first song I heard by them.
The Bomb Song - My absolute favourite Darwin Deez song. It's slow, and perhaps not cheerful, but it'd be a good one to have on Sunday, when everyone's tired out from the previous two days. If I'm too tired though, it's entirely likely that I will start crying at this song.
You Can't Be My Girl - More cheerful, and a bit psychedelic, they can play this after The Bomb Song to cheer me up.
Up In The Clouds - Another more happy, relaxed one to end the weekend on, I just really like this one. It's simple, but it's good.

BEST OF THE REST
That's not a band, as far as I know (claiming it as a band name now). I simply mean tasters of some of the other bands and artists that will be on that I don't really listen to as much of, or just haven't mentioned above.
Imagine Dragons - Radioactive
White Lies - Bigger Than Us
Disclosure - When A Fire Starts To Burn (at the request of my boyfriend)
System Of A Down - B.Y.O.B.
Eminem - Just Lose It
Modestep - Sunlight
A-Trak - Shadows
Funeral For A Friend - Juneau
Crossfaith - Jägerbomb
Heaven's Basement - I Am Electric

No comments:

Post a Comment