Wednesday 21 August 2013

My Top 20 Awesomest Music Videos

Because music is wonderful, but sometimes you can emphasise or even completely change the meaning of a song by how you present the video. Some videos are really boring and just stick to the basic 'performance in front of dramatic backdrop' thing, but some will be a story, and put into a physical format all the things you see in your head when you listen to the song. So here is my top twenty.

20. Duke Dumont feat A*M*E - Need U (100%)
I did only see this video the other day, and by accident as well, but I find it highly amusing, especially the bit with the surgeons at the end.

19. All Time Low - I Feel Like Dancin'
This is the first All Time Low video I saw, and I think it played a major part in my decision to keep listening to them. It's funny, and at the same time it takes the piss out of some major 'artists' and the whole corporate side of music. (and Alex looks quite good in the video...)

18. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Can't Stop
There's the whole sculpture thing going on, which makes it quite interesting to look at, and RHCP know how to give a good performance as well.

17. Basement Jaxx - Where's Your Head At?
I remember seeing this video from a very young age, which at first made it quite easy for me to just accept how bizarre it is. I actually forgot about it until my mum made me come and watch the video with her the other month, when the strangeness of it finally hit me. It is brilliant though, and an awesome song as well.

16. Darwin Deez - You Can't Be My Girl
I just like how creepy Darwin is in this, lurking about in the background. It actually took me a minute or so to notice he was even there, but I love the way they've done it.

15. Leathermouth - Bodysnatchers 4 Ever
I have no idea what's going on in that video, but it's creepy and I like it.

14. Green Day - Jesus Of Suburbia
I can't remember if I listened to Green Day before I saw this - I mean, everyone does really, it's Green Day, they're unavoidable - but it was this video and the song that caught my attention, and I still love watching it because there's all the weird little bits I've already noticed that I love, and then there's so many new things I see in it each time.

13. Pierce The Veil - Bulls In The Bronx
Although it doesn't exactly go with the story behind the song, it's still a pretty awesome video. All four of them manage to look so incredibly bad-ass the whole way through, and are putting at least 5000% of their effort into it - watching Mike in this lights a deep burning fire within me that urges me to take up drumming again.

12. The Cribs - Housewife
It's all creepy and gothy and weird, which is good. The cover art for the single is also kind of weird, which makes me like it more.

11. Christina Aguilera, Mya, Lil' Kim, Pink - Lady Marmalade
Because . . . women . . . in lingerie . . . and lace . . . you see my point?

10. Without A Face - TSA Song
It's got Darth Vader in it. It's got Without A Face in leather. It's got awesome dancing and stuff. I don't know what I'm supposed to say that can make you understand this better. Just watch it.

9. Panic! At The Disco - Build God, Then We'll Talk
From one of the most bizarre and brilliant albums I've ever listened to. There's never anything quite like P!ATD, really. This video is one of their weirder ones, which is saying something. It's a whole relationship in mime, but good mime, I promise.

8. Fall Out Boy - Headfirst Slide Into Cooperstown On A Bad Bet
It took me ages to find this video the first time, because it's on a different channel to the others, and actually goes by the name of 'A Weekend At Pete Rose's'. I've read about the whole idea for the video, but it was a while ago and I don't remember the specifics, but that's some obscure reference that baseball fans or something will get - same with the song title. Really quite a macabre video, with an excellent performance from Bendon Urie and Spencer Smith of Panic! At The Disco, it's all very . . . well, I couldn't do it justice in words alone.

7. My Chemical Romance - Famous Last Words
Ok, I really pushed it back, this could have been the number two video if I had no self-restraint. But this video means a lot to me. It's as dark as the song, and all broken and twisted and really just sums up the whole Black Parade album for me. I admit that I do sometimes cry while watching this video, and I very rarely cry at films or songs.

6. Bring Me The Horizon - Sleepwalking
I feel like the video really perfectly fits the feeling of the song, that sort of alternating between this mind-shattering numbness and apathy, and then this feeling like you're bleeding and drowning and that you must be noticeably broken, but nobody seems to notice at all. I like the really intense performance surrounded by the completely oblivious onlookers.

5. Muse - Panic Station
Duuddddeeee. I just don't understand it, any of it. It's just like whwaaaaaattttt?!

4. Blink 182 - I Miss You
I just really like the creepy, lonely gothic atmosphere to it, from the soft focus to the spiders and the ethereal figures. Also, apparently, shooting the video took so long that Mark Hoppus had to put superglue on the ends of his fingers because playing the double bass for so long was rubbing the skin off them.

3. All American Rejects - Dirty Little Secret
Cool song, spliced in with many different 'dirty little secrets'. Are they real confessions or ones they made up? I don't know. But I feel like some of them are, at least. It says a lot about the things people think but don't tell anyone, from liking the smell of their own poo, to fearing for your own sanity.

2. Black Cards - End Of Pretend
The song's brilliant, and even though the video's quite random and erratic, I feel like it fits. It's made of loads and loads of GIFs, which all seem to fit together in this in a weird way, from the creepy skeletons to the cat pawing at the feet of the hanged woman. Plus, it's good to see Doctor Who randomly turn up, and I like spotting all the different GIFs I've seen on tumblr.

1. My Chemical Romance - Helena (So Long And Goodnight)
Of course it was going to be this. It was always going to be this. There was never any other option. I knew the moment I decided to make this post that this would be the number one spot. The song itself deals with grief, and the video shows that so well, with the living and the dead dancers, and the red and black colour scheme . . . I just . . . I just fucking love this video.

No comments:

Post a Comment