Tuesday 23 July 2013

We Are The In Crowd

I'll admit I feel a bit funny about WATIC. Possibly because of the unavoidably poor name, possibly because - and I am entirely open to having my mind changed here, I'm aware that my first impressions are usually very sudden snap decisions and are highly irrational - the singer seems to be a bit smug, a bit Hayley Williams-esque. But, I will repeat, I'm open to having my mind changed. I've not heard any of their music myself, and all I really know is that they gave away a signed WATIC t-shirt at the Pulp Party back in April, and people went mental trying to get hold of it. Let us hope that that was good music they were excited for.


These guys reek of pop punk, which is at least a genre I usually favour. Beyond that, though, I don't get any immediate feeling about the band or the music, I don't feel excited or angry I pressed play or anything. I'm just waiting for them to make some kind of an impact. The 3 minutes and 39 seconds of Rumour Mill are really dragging on, and all I'm getting here is that they worked out that Tay Jardine can sing and just kind of threw some mildly angsty words at a fridge to make the lyrics for her to sing, and made sure that all the focus was on her voice.
It's not that they're especially bad - they all seem to be playing their instruments properly, Tay can sing, it's all very clear that they can do that. But it feels like they're working out of a formula, "100 Beginner Songs In Pop Punk". They can play the songs well, but the songs aren't that interesting. It feels more like the reason why people go mad for them is because there are some people out there who will latch onto absolutely any band in the genre, regardless of quality. If you like them, you like them, and I congratulate you on knowing your music taste, but personally I don't think I'd feel too bad about missing them while waiting in the queue for the toilets.

No comments:

Post a Comment