Sunday 8 December 2013

Of Mice & Men - You're Not Alone


I was starting to get a little tired of Of Mice & Men. I got into them in that sort of dry period where a band isn't touring or publicly working on new material, so you have what they've already put out, but no massive incentive to stay interested. Don't get me wrong, their two already-released albums (Of Mice & Men, and The Flood) are awesome, but I have a short attention span. I am in constant need of new material.
Then, the other day we finally received news of their new album, Restoring Force, due out sometime next year. They also gave us the first single off it, titled You're Not Alone.
It took me a few days to give it a listen, but I have, and now I have also gotten access to a computer to write this. I'm not sure about this song. I think, as with some other songs they've made, it's probably a grower that I'll find myself listening to on repeat once I've gotten used to it. Maybe it's because this is work they're doing without former member Shayley Bourget - he's got a very distinctive voice, I think, so the absence of it really messes with what I have in my head as Of Mice & Men. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, though.
However, I do have some issues. I know every band has to grow and work with trying to change their music a little bit each time to make it better, but I'm not quite sure about Austin Carlile's vocals in this song. It just doesn't feel like he's screaming properly; it's not as raw and angry as on their older stuff. Also, the lyrics and the music itself feel a little too similar to that kind of 'lifesaver metalcore' that so many bands make - you know, where every song is about how you just have to hold their hand and it will be ok, and the breakdowns come in the same places . . . it's a bit boring. I know that's kind of OM&M's thing already, but in their older work they did it in a more original-sounding way.
So, maybe it's not the strongest track, but I'm not going to write off the album just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment