Sunday 14 April 2013

Riding The Low

or: Isobel's Procrastination Through The Medium Of Twitter Leads To A Startling And Hopefully Beneficial Musical Discovery.
So I was lounging about on twitter, talking to Cari, who also happens to run a music blog, when I noticed that in my suggested section it had brought up Paddy Considine. Paddy Considine is hands down my favourite actor - so far I have yet to find someone who can do menacing as well as him, not to mention the whole spectrum of other things he can do. Seriously, just watch Dead Man's Shoes. I checked to see if it was legitimately his profile, and in his bio he happened to mention that he's in a band. I don't know if you've noticed this yet, but
I LIKE BANDS A LOT
so naturally, I was very excited. Obviously, I'm going to give them a listen. They're called Riding The Low, as you might have guessed. Considine sings, while Chris Baldwin and Dan Baker play guitar, Justin Chambers plays drums, and Rich Eaton plays bass. They describe themselves as "rock with the fat cut out". I have no idea what that means, but it's high time I found out.
They have one EP available that I can find, called They Will Rob You Of Your Gifts

Easy On Our Own starts off pretty simply, and sounds kind of like what you would expect of a new band practicing in their garage -but a band that has some idea what they're doing. It's like lazy indie music - not the kind of song you could necessarily use to get a crowd whipped up into a frenzy unless they're rabid fans, but still a good one.
The next song is Eightball. Ooh, I like this one. It's a bit faster, sounds slightly like Oasis (although don't take my word for that, I'm not exactly a 90s Brit-rock aficionado). Definitely like this one.
Eightball is followed by Skull On Concrete, another very chilled out song. It's the kind of music you'd put on on a Sunday afternoon to chill out to.

Catch You When You Go sounds more melancholy than the others, but still has the same chilled-out atmosphere to it, although they've done more with the guitars on this than the others. This one's probably my favourite. Yes, definitely.

There are a few other videos knocking about on youtube, mostly from the band's set at Burtfest 2012 (I have never heard of this festival before in my life). They're of varying quality, but I have found their soundcloud (or someone's pretty legit-looking impersonation) which appears to be mostly demos. They're pretty good demos though, more developed and faster and, to be honest, more interesting than the EP.

But yeah, this is a pleasant surprise and one I intend to keep an eye on, because they look promising.

No comments:

Post a Comment