Tuesday 19 February 2013

My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark: FALL OUT BOY ARE BACK

I know this is a bit late, but still, it's a big thing in music at the moment and something relevant to me as a Fall Out Boy fan who never thought I'd get to see them perform.
My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light Em Up) is the first single off Fall Out Boy's new album Save Rock And Roll, due out April 15th of this year, which is the first we've heard from the band as a whole unit - they've all done various individual projects, such as Pete Wentz's group Black Cards, Patrick Stump's Soul Punk, Joe Trohman's With Knives, and Andy Hurley's Enabler (can I just say that, shamefully, that this is the first time I've looked at any of their side projects, and 'pleasantly surprised' would be a massive understatement) - since the release of Believers Never Die, their greatest hits album, which was released three years and three months ago. As you can imagine, fans of the band are quite worked up.

My Songs Know . . . was released on February 4th, just after Fall Out Boy announced their return, and just before they started touring again - they were playing a gig in Chicago within 48 hours of the announcement, I believe.
I have to admit, at first I was a bit let down by it, but for stupid reasons. I think what I was expecting from the song was something that would fit right in on From Under The Cork Tree (released 2005), something all heavy and screamy. As you can tell if you're listening to the song now, it's not like that. It's a lot more poppy, and not really that much like anything they've done before. The most widely circulated version of it is the 2Chainz version, which is definitely not what I or any of the other fans were expecting, I'm sure. I listened to it once and then left it for about a week in a bit of a sulk.
But people have kept going on about it, making gifs and edits and just generally talking about it, which made me think that maybe I should give it another listen with a bit more of an open mind. Knowing what to expect now, I actually really like it. It's not the Fall Out Boy that I know best, but I still think it's an awesome song, and I love how the video actually hints that the next album's going to be different with the burning of their old albums (or maybe I should hate that because it makes me look stupid).

So actually, in the end, it's all turned out pretty well. One of my favourite bands is back with a new single and a new album that I am probably going to be annoying the upstairs neighbours with for a very long time, just like when I got hold of Infinity On High, which I played very loud on constant repeat for at least a week straight, and that's nothing on when I got Danger Days (most recent album of my very favourite band, My Chemical Romance).

No comments:

Post a Comment