Sunday 24 February 2013

Why You Should Love Without A Face

My friend Hannah does this thing where she finds bands that are big in certain areas (not those areas), or new, or haven't even written any music yet, and she fangirls over them. A lot. I like quite a lot of bands, but I don't know how she remembers all these different people.
Anyway, she likes to show these bands to all her friends, which sometimes works and . . . more often, I think, doesn't, because some of these bands are just a bit too weird. We all had her singing Evelyn Evelyn's 'You Only Want Me 'Cause You Want My Sister' throughout pretty much all of summer 2011, and I did end up sat in Piccadilly one day, wearing a sparkly Halloween mask and singing it with her (well, she was singing the song and I was singing my version; It's Not My Fault I'm The Sexy Sister).

One such band that Hannah showed me was one called Without A Face. It's a band with only one member, Henry Dillard, a Texan guy with the fluffiest hair you will ever see (when he grows it long). I'm not sure which song she showed me first - I think it was Lactose Intolerance - but pretty soon I was hooked. Now, he's actually one of my favourite artists.
The thing about Without A Face is that he's a really talented songwriter (didn't see that one coming, did you?) and, when he's making one of his daft songs - see The TSA Song, which is also probably my favourite of all his songs - he has this very witty sense of humour that he manages to incorporate into it. Plus, he can do an awesome rap.
Henry's been around for a while now, and has quite a lot of stuff out there on his various albums: Worst Debut Album Ever; The 1st Album Was Better; 5 Songs; Oh, Great, An Election; and his newest album, The American Scheme. The earlier albums have more of his daft stuff than anything serious, whereas Oh, Great, An Election (that has to be the best name for an EP ever) and The American Scheme are pretty dark - for him - and meaningful and full of the feeling of disillusionment with this whole idea of the American Dream (that's what it is to me, at least, and I'm too shy to ask him).
What's also great is that he's involved with his fans.He responds to you on twitter, and occasionally does so on his youtube as well. Best of all are his online concerts, usually held on the last Wednesday of every month (although he's on a break until March) at about 8pm EST. Unfortunately that means that, if you're British like me, you have to stay up all night, but they're really worth it. He sounds just as good live as recorded, takes requests and will answer questions right then and there, even if it's one of my stupid questions like 'which shampoo do you use?'. It's also the nearest I've ever been to any celebrity's kitchen, even though several of his music videos were recorded in there too (such as Druggie Love, which is an awesome song).
So there you go. He's got a cracking voice, lovely hair and some amazing songs.
WE WANT A UK TOUR.
Here's five of my favourite songs that I haven't already mentioned in the post:
Miserably Privileged
Pigs
Booty
Earthlings
Republicratic Gang
**
Without A Face on iTunes
Without A Face on Soundcloud

No comments:

Post a Comment