Thursday 14 March 2013

Alpha Romeo Teakettle Barbecue

A few years back, me and my mum decided that we needed a wider range of music to listen to in the car, so we didn't have to bring loads of albums out with us all the time. This spawned 'Tunes For The Car'. She makes one every few now and then, so that now there's about twenty; I'm not sure, because she started off numbering them, but she kept forgetting which number we were on, and then she started making up numbers (there is a TFTC Twelvety - I am hoping you get the reference), and then there's various special editions she's done for when I was on school ski trips, such as February 2012's Piste Off.
I didn't know this latest one was being created, but that's not unusual. She just walked into my room this morning, put down ARTB and walked back out. The name comes from her new car (she's got an Alpha Romeo Giulietta or however you spell it, and she loves it even though it makes her look a bit like a drug dealer), and also from the Young Ones sketch, Cash.
Anyway, it's brilliant. It doesn't appear to follow any particular theme at first, but if you listen through a few times, I think you find the threads of Christina Aguilera, Pimp My Ride and Has-my-mum-just-been-watching-90s-MTV-shows-while-I'm-at-school?

Gram Rabbit - Dirty Horse
The Rapture - How Deep Is Your Love
Queens of the Stone Age - Lost Art of Keeping a Secret
The xx - Crystalised (Rory Philips remix)
Jamiroquai - Alright
Christina Aguilera - Can't Hold Us Down
Redman - Smash Sumthin'
X-Zibit - Hey Now (Mean Muggin')
Eve - Let Me Blow Ya Mind
Robyn - Dancing On My Own
Christina Aguilera - Beautiful
Queens of the Stone Age - Go With The Flow
Jamiroquai - Virtual Insanity

As you can see, it's erm . . . a pretty wide range of things, but it works in its own way. They've all got their reasons for being there, in some way or another: Christina Aguilera's there because we had a conversation about her music the other day, and Queens of the Stone Age are there because I got her one of their albums for Mother's Day. I believe the Gram Rabbit song is there because she keeps trying to find me things to learn to play on guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment