Saturday 23 March 2013

What The Fuck, My Chemical Romance?

"Being in this band for the past 12 years has been a true blessing. We've gotten to go places we never knew we would. We've been able to see and experience things we never imagined possible. We've shared the stage with people we admire, people we look up to, and best of all, our friends. And now, like all great things, it has come time for it to end. Thanks for all your support, and for being part of the adventure.
My Chemical Romance"

My favourite band split up today.
From the ages of four until fifteen, my favourite band was Gorillaz. They're an awesome band, but I never truly experienced true devotion to a band until My Chemical Romance.
I remember a few brief phases of liking them, and listening to The Black Parade album. But when I really discovered them was Easter 2011, when I was moving house. I was staying with my grandparents for a while, and I was lying on the sofa watching MTV, when Planetary (GO!) came on. I was vaguely aware of it because I have friends who'd liked the band for longer, but as I lay there watching the video, I remember realising that it was actually a pretty awesome song. Awesome enough that I spent the next two weeks on Spotify and Youtube all day, listening to every MCR song I could find. Normally, you listen to a band and there'll be one or two songs that don't really grab you. With MCR, every single song seemed like the most beautiful, amazing thing I'd ever heard. I got Danger Days and listened to it all day, every day for about two months straight. Then I got Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge - if you'll remember from my post the other day, my favourite album in the world - and it just kept getting better and better.
I was hooked almost straight away. I didn't have much to do in the summer of that year, so I spent that whole time drawing fan art, watching interviews and listening to their music. That Christmas, I got Life On The Murder Scene, and I watched the whole lot of it (it lasts several hours) in one go.
They got me through some really, really dark times too. There's a lot of other fans who know what I mean by that. I remember sitting there feeling completely empty one day, and I listened to Famous Last Words, and it actually gave me some real energy. I decided I had to keep living because I needed to see all my favourite bands play live.

I'm never going to get to see them perform. I'm never going to be there to see them playing my favourite songs. I can't send them my fan art, I can't send them a letter. They're never going to read it.

I just don't know what to do. There were rumours when the tracks for Conventional Weapons were announced, because they'd previously said they'd stop making music when they released The World Is Ugly. When I look at CW now, all I see is a goodbye letter.
But what about what they actually wrote? Twelve years of devotion, twelve years of them saving the lives of so many people and us supporting them through everything, and we get a paragraph? A paragraph that doesn't say anything and just says "yeah ok, bye guys". I just . . . what the fuck?
It feels so cold, so callous, especially when they have to know how much this is going to affect people.

And if you're thinking they're "just a band", then you can fuck off right now. I know there's a lot of people who think that it's complete rubbish when someone says a band saved their life, but it's not. When you're sitting there and feeling so alienated from everyone around you, like some kind of freak, and you feel like there's an almost physical weight pressing down on your shoulders like some monster whispering in your ear and telling you you're worthless, you can feel like there's nothing left. But then a band comes along, made of people who've had those troubles, who still have them, but have pulled through and made themselves a success, and they're singing songs that perfectly explain everything that you yourself can't articulate, and they tell you that it's ok to be messed up, and it's ok to feel like you can't carry on, because you still can, you can and will always get back up again.

So, I just . . . this blog and I will be in mourning. I don't even know what else to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment