Thursday 21 March 2013

Look, A Band - Silver Story

"Silver Story is an up and coming 4 piece rock band from St. Helens!" That's their Twitter bio, and I thought it might be the best way to introduce them here, too - although it says on Facebook that they're from Manchester, which is even better, because Manchester's the best place of all the places. They've been 'masters of debauchery' since 2007, and their political views are listed as "Anarchy!" which is even better.

So far, they sound awesome (given up on not using that word). I especially like the start of Jaded on their Art and Vandals EP. It's very shouty and angry, reminds me of The Cribs a bit. That's followed by My Empire, which has a nice, quite start and then kicks in and gets even nicer (I swear I was taught a wider vocabulary than this, but this music is too good and it's distracting me). It's a bit melancholy, a bit of a kissing-in-the-rain-montage kind of song, but who doesn't like that kind of song?

THE NEXT SONG STARTS WITH BASS. I LIKE BASS. It's also called Of Dreams And Nightmares, and is appropriately, kind of dark, although more action than evil wolves poison-gassing your school (that's one of mine), but still great. To get dark enough for what I was thinking, my speakers would have to be bleeding. There's a bit of darkness there, but in a sort of bad-ass kind of way. I think my favourite song would be Dancefloor, off their Wake Up album.

It's all quite catchy and pop-punk, which is good. I have a lot of time for pop punk type stuff. There's darkness, but it's sort of that hopeful yes-we're-gonna-get-through-this kind of music, and you can't have too much of that, because music gets you through everything. They make the kind of songs you want to sing along to while going on a road trip with the wind blowing through your hair, and then do air drums and then crash because you're supposed to keep your hands on the wheel, you idiot. Watch out, Silver Story are out to kill you in seemingly random accidents.

Oddly enough, they also have some shows coming up, apparently: one on the 30th of March at Dry Bar in Manchester along with various other bands, which I may see if I can attend, and one at Nambucca in London on June the 6th.

Facebook / Twitter / Bandcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment