Friday 8 March 2013

As it's Internation Women's Day . . .

... and I did say I'd do some stuff about women this month and never reeaallly got round to it, I thought that I would post here my all time favourite songs sung by women.
For some reason (SEXISM) the music industry tends to mess with female singers and try to make them popular because of their appearance as opposed to their actual ability, and even when they don't put a major effort into that, physical appearance is still what a singer will get judged on as opposed to . . . their singing, which is their profession (this does, admittedly, apply to some men too). For example, Adele; brilliant singer, writes her own songs and everything. But what's she judged on? Her size. 'Oh God look at her, lard-arse' 'yes but that's not important, she's a singer-' 'Eww who got her pregnant she's so fat' 'But she's still really pretty actually, and anyway that's not even important-'
You get the picture.
So anyway, here are some awesome songs by awesome women.


Adele - Rolling In The Deep. Because everybody knows this song and she really belts it out, and just yeesssssss gooooddddddd


Amy Winehouse - You Know I'm No Good. Amy was such a talented singer and it's really such a shame what happened, but that's common knowledge. She's been painted on the ceiling of the cafe in Affleck's Palace, Manchester, where all the dead legends have gone (is Mitch Lucker up there yet though?)


Shirley Bassey - Goldfinger. Because firstly, Adele's already up here, and secondly, this is a better Bond theme than Skyfall anyway.


The Pretty Reckless - Make Me Wanna Die. Because I love how Taylor Momsen just decided to go off from Gossip Girl and join this band, and start dressing however she likes, no matter what the slut-shaming from the media is like.


Evanescence - Bring Me To Life. Because this song is so cheesy I love it. I remember this song from when I was about seven, actually, so it's also kind of nostalgic for me. It also spawned many an early 2000s scenekid phase.


Ms Dynamite - Dy-Na-Mi-Tee. I don't even care, I used to have the album with this on when I was younger, I loved Ms Dynamite.


Beyonce feat. Jay-Z - Crazy In Love. SPLOSHUNS AND RAIN DANCING AND THOSE WEIRD PURPLE AND ORANGE OUTFITS. DESTINY'S FAVOURITE CHILD.

No comments:

Post a Comment