Saturday 30 March 2013

Look, A Band - Owls In The Attic

Part of me is intrigued to find out how on earth that band name was thought up, and part of me is a bit worried and wants to ring the RSPCA. However, before we get to that, I'll see if they're actually any good (because having good songs makes me very likely to excuse minor animal abuse).
Apparently mainly influenced by the great Ron Burgundy, they're off to a great start here. Owls In The Attic a 5-piece metalcore band from Nashville, Tennessee (isn't Hannah Montana from there?) consisting of Benny Mueller (vocals), Evan Jensen (drums/vocals), Mike D'Ancona (guitar), Phil Campbell (guitar), and Christopher Baldani (bass), and their collective interests range from romance to Jesus . . . . that's a pretty diverse mix of interests.

They've done a cover of Payphone by Maroon 5, which I'm going to leave till last because I don't want to have Adam Levine's face leering in my mind while I'm trying to form an opinion of the band.
Wow, the start of The Buffalo Song is awesome though, and they definitely know how to scream. There's got to be a lot of sore throats after this song though . . . it's so aggressive, I want to give them a throat lozenge. Let it not be said that they don't put effort in. I think No Dinner For Mike's probably my favourite though, it sounds like anime and being attacked by evil space aliens, in a good way.
This is good music to play when you want to tune everything out, I think. It's very good, very put together, and the kind of music I love listening to. I like the contrast between the screaming and the clean vocals - it sounds great when it's done properly, and Owls In The Attic are doing it properly, especially on Big Fire.
It's a bit like Of Mice & Men, a little bit like Sleeping With Sirens (less so, but I'm feeling it anyway), but still very definitely different. You could pick Owls In The Attic songs out of a line-up of metalcore bands, they're pretty distinguishable. I also love the song titles, like "Only On Tuesdays"; fascinating and a bit worrying, just like the band name.

Now, as a finishing touch, to have a look at their cover of Payphone. Oh wow, yep, yes, definitely yes. Well done, guys, you have done what at first seemed impossible, and you've redeemed a song  that I hated beyond belief. If they'd been playing this every five minutes that I was in Florida last summer, I don't think I would have been anywhere near as irritable. I commend you on your achievement here. I think this has actually replaced No Dinner For Mike as my favourite. This is more amazing than I could have hoped for.

So you should definitely have a look at them - they've managed to make Payphone not just listenable, but pretty awesome, so imagine what their original material's like (their debut EP Contender is already available for purchase). Wow, well done. Just wow.

Facebook / Twitter / Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment