Friday 22 March 2013

Look, A Band - Nobody Takes Vegas

Nobody Takes Vegas sounds like the name of some kind of alien warfare film, like Battle L.A. or something.  What they actually are, according to facebook, is "a band that plays songs". They are Nick LaGreca (vocals), Harrison Feuer (guitars), Jack Morrow (guitars), Rob Krug (bass), and Jimmy Kubik (drums and superhero names division), and they're from Long Island. They also play loud rock music. They seem to be pretty chilled out on the information side of things, as opposed to some other bands with more prose than lyrics written out, but that's no problem. More time for music.

I like this stuff a lot. It sounds like The Blackout, and also Funeral For A Friend, but a bit different. It's a bit heavy, a bit sad, a bit angry. I especially like the drums on the start of Riding In Cars With Bears.
Half Dead In Hempstead is the kind of thing I can imagine myself blasting through my (broken) headphones on one of my long walks, while pretending to be in a music video (and plus I like the hand-dance in the youtube video).
Midnight In Nagoya is probably my favourite though, and I wanted to put the actual video in this post, but for some reason the damn site will only access the live videos, which aren't as high quality as the link. It's angry, it's got a little bit of screaming, it sounds like the kind of thing I'd be sat singing along to in the middle of the night while pretending I can play guitar. It's got such pretty lyrics, too; "Can you hear me when all the sounds start to play? While our minds run wild, just open your eyes, with whispers and broken words". I think I must've listened to this song about five times on the trot by now.

But yes, these guys are awesome, really really awesome actually, possibly one of my favourites so far of the bands I've looked at - I would say it's definitely worth your while to give them a listen.

Twitter / Facebook / Bandcamp / Soundcloud / Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment